Ottawa City Ambassador
Community based story collecting & photography
Application deadline: Thursday August 25th, 2016
This project is a National Initiative for Canada’s 150th anniversary.
Requirement: Must be between 18 and 30 years of age
Starting date: September 26th, 2016
Position Type: Volunteer, Part Time (15 hrs/month for 12 months), one-time 1000$ stipend provided
Location: Based in Ottawa, working remotely with the head office in Montreal, Quebec
To APPLY: Send a resume and cover letter to Sophie Babinski, Campaign Manager at email@example.com and indicate “Ottawa” in the email subject.
All City Ambassadors are required to attend a 2-day orientation and working session at the end of September at Apathy is Boring headquarters in Montreal (all expenses covered). Date to be confirmed. We thank everyone for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
From September 2016 to August 2017, 10 Apathy is Boring City Ambassadors, alongside partner organizations, will be capturing the stories and community contributions made by young Canadians. Photographs and captions will document the diverse, conventional and unconventional ways millennials are shaping their communities. This content will then be disseminated through creative interventions, such as outdoor city projections, in Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. This is a collaborative project with dozens of community partners, including the Canadian Red Cross, Engineers without Borders, Gen Why Media, Canadian Heritage, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the Community Foundations of Canada, and the National Association of Friendship Centres. Two Ottawa City Ambassadors will be responsible for connecting with partner organizations active in their city, as well as their personal networks, to highlight the stories of inspiring young Canadians. The two Ottawa City Ambassadors will be joining a team of 8 other ambassadors from across the country, and will have autonomy to make this project unique and authentic to Ottawa.
Because City Ambassadors will be working in teams of two, you are welcome to apply with a friend or colleague. This is not required, however if you are applying as a pair please indicate so in your cover letter.
● Develop relationships with youth-focused community organizations across the city
● Collect photos and stories of how peers are making a difference in the community
● Curate photos and stories collected based on the following themes: Diversity and Inclusion, Reconciliation, Inspiring Youth, Environment
● Participate in a monthly call with the campaign manager
● Connect with national ambassador network through Slack
● Project coordination and reporting
● Support with logistics related to Canada 150 events held by Apathy is Boring, where photos and stories collected will be projected in high traffic areas
● Attend and facilitate conversation spaces at the projection event held in your city
● Volunteer experience and interest
● An interest in photography and other visual art mediums
● Deep roots in the city
● Demonstrated interest in the mission and vision of the organization
● Awareness of youth issues and appreciation of diverse cultures
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● A background in events management or related field
● Ability to work on a team with a common goal