Communications Summer Intern
Application Deadline: Monday, April 15th, 2019
Position Type: Full-time, 35 hours a week
Start Date: Monday, May 13th, 2019
End Date: Friday, August 23rd, 2019
Compensation: $12 / hour (Insurance benefits available.)
To Apply: Send a resume, cover letter and 2 references to Daniele-Jocelyne Otou, Communications Manager at email@example.com
*We thank everyone for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Under the direction of the Communications Manager and Coordinator, the Communications Summer Intern is responsible for supporting with the internal and external aspects of communications for Apathy is Boring. This involves assisting with regular updates of the organization’s social media channels and website. In addition, the intern will support with running campaigns to promote projects as needed. The Communications Intern will also assist with outreach for events, support with the inventory of merchandise, printed materials and other items required.
Over the course of the internship, the Communications Intern will deepen their understanding of Canadian civics by collaborating with Apathy is Boring’s regional program coordinators based in 7 cities across Canada - including Iqaluit, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver.
Canada Summer Jobs Requisites:
- be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Online Communications 60%:
- Support with Apathy is Boring’s social media platforms on a regular basis, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.
- Assist with the coordination of holiday and thank-you card lists, including all relevant contacts
- Support on other communication materials as needed (annual report, press releases, content creation, etc.)
- Assist with Elections Canada online campaigns.
- Assist with recruitment campaign for RISE program and planning of RISE Fall retreat.
- Support the Coordinator in creating print materials to promote and support recruitment of programs in the community.
- Attend events and create content for social media (Including live-tweeting, photographs, etc).
- Track and record media appearances and contacts
- Manage photos and other stock footage to share upon request
- Assist the organizing of merchandise in office and communication files in Google Drive
- Previously or currently enrolled in post-secondary education in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations
- Excellent written and oral English skills, and proficiency in written and oral French
- Regularly uses a variety of social media platforms and up to date with online trends
- Comfortable using CMS and CRM platforms; Knowledge of Nation Builder an asset
- Familiar with Adobe Suite InDesign or Illustrator
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with organizational staff, volunteers and external contractors
- Excellent knowledge of computer and database/spreadsheet/word processing software
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills