Application Deadline: Friday December 6th, 2019
Position Type: Full-time, 37.5 hours a week
Compensation: $21 per hour (group benefits available)
Location: Apathy is Boring's Head Office at 1514 Docteur-Penfield Avenue, Montreal, QC H3G 1B9
To APPLY: Send a resume, cover letter and 2 references to Heather Nagy, Finance & Operations Manager at email@example.com
*We thank everyone for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Founded in 2004, Apathy is Boring is a national, youth-led, non-partisan, charitable organization that supports our peers in being active citizens in Canada’s democracy. Apathy is Boring supports youth to take charge of the conditions they live in through both political and non-political processes.
Reporting to the Finance and Operations Manager, the Finance Coordinator will work alongside the Bookkeeper and the Admin Coordinator to support the day to day operations of the Finance and Admin department. This includes financial tasks such as collating receipts, preparing bookkeeping documents, and reporting and tracking budgets, as well as administrative tasks such as filing, booking travel and accommodations for staff and booking conference rooms for events. This position requires a self-motivated, highly organized person with keen attention to detail, and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities. Experience with full-cycle accounting in the not-for-profit sector, preparing budgets, analyzing financial reports, Sage 50 or other accounting software is required. The ideal candidate has experience improving and creating new systems or processes to promote efficiencies of financial and administrative management.
Additionally to working in a beautiful manor-turn-community workspace in the heart of downtown Montreal, this position offers flexible hours, work from home options and an amazing team to support you!
Prepare documents for the Bookkeeper for posting financial transactions in the accounting software including;
- Weekly direct deposit payment documents from staff
- Credit card payments/purchases
- Petty cash reconciliation documents from remote staff
- Invoicing to partners, contractors, and funders
- Assist Finance and Operations Manager with tracking actuals to budgets, creating new budgeting tools for new projects as they arise and keeping overall spending projections and collection of revenues on track
- Create and maintain highly organized digital filing system for financial documents
- Support communications between the Finance and other departments, including providing finance trainings, answering staff questions and requests, etc.
- Coordinating with the Bookkeeper and Finance and Operations Manager to ensure all month-end and quarterly accounting is completed and up to date
- Assist with yearly financial audit, annual filings, and preparation of tax claims
- Help track payroll, vacation and sick days, and group insurance billing
- Other duties as required
- Booking travel and accommodation for staff, and for speakers/facilitators
- Booking conference rooms and arranging meals for meetings
- Developing, and maintaining highly organized physical and digital filing systems
- Maintaining HR documents such as employee files, first week forms, etc.
- Other duties as required
- Post-secondary education in Finance, Accounting, or related field, and/or equivalent experience
- 3 years minimum work experience in a related role in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience with Sage 50 (Simply Accounting), bookkeeping processes and practices (GAAP), holding full cycle accounting process
- Strong Microsoft Excel knowledge– ability to effectively analyze data using formulas and other functions
- Financial management experience in non-profit sector an asset
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to plan and prioritize workload
- Work well in a team environment
- General administrative experience in the not-for-profit sector is an asset
- Bilingualism an asset