Research & Development Summer Intern
Application Deadline: Monday, April 15th, 2019
Position Type: Full-time, 35 hours a week
Start Date: Monday, May 13th, 2019
End Date: Friday, August 23rd, 2019
Compensation: $12 / hour (Insurance benefits available.)
To Apply: Send a resume, cover letter and 2 references to Samantha Reusch, Research & Evaluation Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
*We thank everyone for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The objective of this internship is to enable the Research Intern to explore career opportunities in the non-profit sector while helping them acquire practical skills in data-research, writing, evaluation, data-entry, and general administration.
The primary role of the Research and Development Intern will be to assist Apathy is Boring’s Evaluations and Development Team in reviewing program effectiveness by assisting in tabulating data, research and assembling official reports. The intern will play a key role facilitating Apathy is Boring's evaluative efforts during the program-heavy summer of 2019.
Over the course of their internship, the Research and Development Intern will deepen their understanding of Canadian civics and broaden their perspective on our country by collaborating with Apathy is Boring’s regional program coordinators based in cities across Canada.
The Research and Development Intern with also acquire valuable professional experience in the nonprofit sector that should be easily transferred to a variety of fields.
Canada Summer Jobs Requisites:
- be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Evaluation Support 40%:
- Assist with internal evaluations of Apathy is Boring’s program impact by helping with the organization, analysis and entry of data contributed by our program participants.
- Assist with evaluation of social media activity and campaigns as they relate to Apathy is Boring’s programming as well as election activities.
- Assist the Evaluations and Development team in a number of research capacities including supporting on projects as well as smaller research tasks, as needed.
- They will assist with the retrieval, reading, and compilation of relevant academic and non-academic articles and sources.
- They will support Apathy is Boring’s staff team in staying up to date on polls and other information related to 2019 Federal elections.
Database Management 15%:
- Learn how to use Apathy is Boring Customer Relationship Management system
- Support in maintaining the database
Grant Reporting 10%:
- Assist with grant reporting
- Assist with deliverables tracking
- Managing their schedule and calendars
- Responding to emails in a reasonable timeframe.
- Previously or currently enrolled in Social Sciences, Humanities or affiliated programs at the post-secondary level.
- Excellent written and oral English skills, and proficiency in written and oral French
- Comfortable using CRM platforms; Knowledge of Nation Builder an asset
- Familiar with qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information from a variety of sources including academic and non-academic articles and publications
- Familiar with a variety of social media platforms and up to date with online trends considered an asset
- Excellent knowledge of computer and database/spreadsheet/word processing software
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills